Tsi Ku Chai began its business in 1958 on
Central House, 10 Queen's Road Central, Central District, as a dealer of traditionally bound
books, used books, rubbings of stone inscriptions, and Buddhist
scriptural books. At the same time its scope of business was broadened
to include the buying and selling of such items as Chinese paintings and calligraphic works, brand-new or used books, writing implements and
related gadgets. Exhibitions were frequently held.
Tsi Ku Chai has always functioned as a bridge making possible the communication between the
artistic circle of Mainland China and that of Hong Kong. On the one hand the Company sponsors visiting artists from Mainland china; on the other
hand it arranges touring exhibitions in the Mainland for the works of Hong Kong artists. In recent years there has been a widening of the
perspective in that special efforts have been made in promoting the works of some promising young artists of China.
Here it will be apt to recall that over the past forty years over three hundred exhibitions of
various types and various scales, together with related activities of various sorts, had been organized by the Company. There is no doubt that
this has contributed in no modest way to the promotion of the art of traditional Chinese painting and calligraphy, and to the enhancement of the
international influence that these Chinese arts may maintain. In face of the increasing demand from connoisseurs and collectors in Hong Kong and
overseas, Tsi Ku Chai will persevere in following the principle of supplying only those art works that reach a high degree of excellence.